From a global phenomenon to a highly sought-after “secret”, Le Dîner en Blanc will take over one of Fort Lauderdale’s public spaces on February 16, 2019 for its inaugural culinary event.
Over 130,000 foodies and cultural enthusiasts around the world have already embraced this unique event. As stated very eloquently by the New York Times: “There are picnics and there are Picnics”. This très chic picnic is equal parts mystery tour, refined outdoor feast and je ne sais quoi!
On June 3rd of this year, Le Diner en Blanc de Paris marked its 30th anniversary! A record 17,000 guests from Paris and around the world gathered at the Esplanade des Invalides to celebrate this historic moment. Launched in Paris in 1988 by François Pasquier and a handful of friends, Le Dîner en Blanc de Paris now attracts over 10,000 people each year. What began as a “friends and word-of-mouth only” event has grown into an international culinary sensation in 80 cities in 30 countries. While the technology behind the event may has changed over the years, the principles fuelling this fantastic event have not: guests continue to gather at a secret location for the sole purpose of sharing a gourmet meal with good friends in one of their city’s most beautiful locations.
“Fort Lauderdale has long been an iconic city known for its fine living, cultural influence, and as a popular tourist destination,” says Ken McCormack, co-host of Le Dîner en Blanc – Fort Lauderdale, who has been working in the marketing and communications industry for over 30 years. “The city is primed for such a dazzling event and we are proud to host the very first edition of it and hope that it will pave the way towards establishing a long-standing tradition.”
In essence, Le Dîner en Blanc promotes friendship, elegance and gallantry. Over the course of the evening, guests experience the beauty and value of one their city’s public spaces by participating in the unexpected.
To maintain its uniqueness as well as staying true to tradition of Le Dîner en Blanc, guests must observe certain requirements and follow a few key rules:
- Once confirmed, each guest’s participation becomes mandatory, regardless of weather conditions. This is a rain or shine event.
- Dress code: elegant and white only. Originality and creativity are encouraged as long as it is stylish and tasteful.
- Table setting: all white!
- Champagne and/or wine. Beer and hard liquor are prohibited.
- As per Fort Lauderdale’s alcohol regulations, guests cannot bring their own alcohol. Guests wishing to enjoy some wine or champagne, must reserve online through the Dîner en Blanc’s e-store. However, guests are welcome to bring their own non-alcoholic beverages.
- To ensure that the location is kept secret until last minute, guests meet at assigned departure locations and are escorted by Dîner en Blanc volunteers.
- In order to leave the event location as clean as when they arrived, guests are required to leave with all their belongings, leftovers and litter.
Guests must bring:
- A table, two (white) chairs, white tablecloth.
- A picnic basket comprising fine food and proper stemware and white dinnerware.
- An option to pre-order food, which can be picked up at the site, will be available for those who do not wish to pack their own picnic baskets. Guests wishing to do so must reserve online through Le Dîner en Blanc website during the initial ticket registration.
For full details on the rules and regulations, please visit