Who is Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale?
Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale is a charitable nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization responsible for the planning, programming, beautification and promotion of Riverwalk Park. We are composed primarily of volunteer private citizens and overseen by a board of directors. All members uphold the organization’s directive, as stated in its mission statement, “to be the catalyst in building and nurturing Riverwalk and the Riverwalk District as a vibrant community connected by the New River.” We pursue our mission through a wide range of fundraising and membership events and advocacy on behalf of the Park and the district through our informative website and GoRiverwalk magazine and social media.
Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale has its origin with the City of Fort Lauderdale. In December 1988, only three years after securing funding for a linear public park along the New River, the City established Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale to facilitate in the design as well as develop fundraising and advocacy efforts. Since its launch, we have played a significant role in obtaining a “regional park” designation from Broward County; guiding redevelopment and Park expansion efforts; and contributing to the three most recent City plans for enhancing the downtown core. Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale works closely with the City, the County, the Downtown Development Authority of Fort Lauderdale, and other important partners in the public and private sectors in overseeing the development, activation and growth for our linear park and downtown Riverwalk District. It is through these partnerships that we work to produce events and activities benefiting the Park and the city. These events and activities have made Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale an invested participant in the growth of Fort Lauderdale and the Riverwalk District in Downtown.
Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale’s official magazine, Go Riverwalk, provides up to date information about local happenings in the city and downtown. We lists all Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale events and activities as well as others with 12 annual issues. More than 15,000 editions are distributed to members and subscribers and are available at up to 300 locations around the community. Celebrating eighteen years in 2021, GO Riverwalk Magazine is recognized today as a standard in the community and Fort Lauderdale’s City Magazine with a comprehensive entertainment guide and business directory.
Celebrating over 30 years, Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale continues to do a tremendous amount of work to heighten the profile of the linear park and our downtown. We continue to partner with all of the stakeholders in the area and the City of Fort Lauderdale to improve the Park features for our community. In so doing, Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale has secured its own position as the preeminent organization engaged in promoting the downtown and the Park as a place to live, work and play. We are a perfect destination!
Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale’s Accomplishments:
- 2020: Installation the Riverwalk 9/11 Monument that displays an artifact from the World Trade Center in New York City.
- 2019:Installation of a playground in Sistrunk Park.
- 2015: Installation of four major pieces of Art in Public Spaces along the Riverwalk.
- 2015: Addition of a second 10-unit exercise station on the south side of the New River on Riverwalk at Smoker Park.
- 2015: Identification and implementation of the free Riverwalk Water Trolley.
- 2014: 10 New Exercise Stations on the Riverwalk: Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale in conjunction with the City of Fort Lauderdale proudly hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony opening the new 10-unit exercise station on the north side of the New River on Riverwalk behind Huizenga Plaza.
- Created and hosted Light Up Lauderdale (holiday decorations and lights on the Riverwalk) over the holiday season annually since 2007.
- Launched Tree Harmony, a program to increase the tree canopy on the Riverwalk utilizing the “right tree – right place” concept of improvement.
- Advocated for the Riverwalk Public Realm Plan and continues to be a primary stakeholder in that planning process and implementation process. Click Here to Download Riverwalk 2020 – A Sustainability Framework
- Launched @Riverwalk series of classes and mini-events along the Riverwalk to activate the park.
- Joined in with the Downtown Development Authority and several condominiums in the Riverwalk area to hire an off duty police officer as part of a program to evaluate the need for increased police presence.
- Hosted successful Downtown events such as the Riverwalk Burger Battle™, Riverwalk Get Downtown, Riverwalk Mutts and Martinis™, Riverwalk Tribute, Stone Crab & Seafood Festival, Boat Show Kick Off, Rocktoberfest, and partnered in Bus Loop, Food Truck rally to continue activation. We also host Membership and Power Mixers and many other sponsored events throughout the year.
- Created an information packed, downtown-centric, lifestyle oriented magazine, Go Riverwalk, that Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale continues to publish at no cost to our readers and which has now become Fort Lauderdale’s City Magazine and covering all of Fort Lauderdale! Celebrating 15 years!
- Our GClub Team secured a matching grant from the City of Fort Lauderdale to provide for a potted plant enhancement project along the Riverwalk Park.
- Provided a colorful Banner Sponsorship program along the Riverwalk Park.
- Celebrating 30 plus years of serving our downtown Fort Lauderdale community continuing to support and advocate for the growth and enhancement of Riverwalk Linear Park and the Riverwalk District.