Date(s) - Thursday, July 1, 2021
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Museum of Discovery and Science (MODS) Virtual Save Our Seas Distinguished Speaker Series held on the first Thursday of every month from May– November.
● The Save Our Seas Distinguished Speaker Series invites science and conservationists of all ages to learn from internationally acclaimed biologists, scientists, conservationists, researchers and educators about new ways of thinking and marine-related preservation topics.
● The MODS Save Our Seas Distinguished Speaker Series is sponsored by Save Our Seas Foundation, which funds and supports research, conservation and education projects worldwide, focusing primarily on charismatic threatened wildlife and their habitats.
Thursday, May 6
Topic: British Columbia Whales
• Janie Wray, CEO and lead researcher for BC Whales
Thursday, June 3
Topic: Community Conservation in the Caribbean
• Catherine Macdonald, director of the Field School, lecturer at Rosenstiel School for Marine and Atmospheric Science at the University of Miami
Thursday, July 1
Topic: Sharks and Pollution
• Kady Lyons, research scientist at Georgia Aquarium
Thursday, August 5
• Alina Wierczorek, Ph.D. student at the University of Ireland, Galway
Thursday, September 2
Topic: Manta Ray Panel Discussion
• Guy Stevens, Ph.D., Chief Executive and Founder of the Manta Trust
• Emily Humble, research fellow at the University of Edinburgh and genetics specialist at Manta Trust
Thursday, October 7
Topic: Shark Conservation Panel Discussion
• Stephen Kajiura, Ph.D., professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at Florida Atlantic University
• Marianne Porter, Ph.D., assistant professor in the Department of Biological Sciences at Florida Atlantic University
Thursday, November 4 (On-site)
Location: Museum of Discovery and Science
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Topic: Sea Turtle Season Wrap-up
• Derek Burkholder, Ph.D., director of Broward County Sea Turtle Conservation Program and Marine Environmental Education Center (MEEC) , research scientist at Guy Harvey Research Institute Save Our Seas Shark Center
REGISTER: Please register at mods.org/saveourseas. The live events are FREE and will take place via Zoom. Space is limited. Unique Zoom links will be sent in the morning on the days of the presentations.