Date(s) - Saturday, May 14, 2022
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Museum of Discovery and Science
The Eye of the Storm is heading your way! The community’s favorite electrifying hurricane annual event rolls into Museum of Discovery and Science (MODS) on Saturday, May 14, from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Florida International University’s International Hurricane Research Center (FIU-IHRC), Broward County Emergency Management Division, the City of Fort Lauderdale Domestic Preparedness and Emergency Management Bureau and MODS once again host this FREE Museum admission day sponsored by the FIU-IHRC and the Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM).
“As Broward County’s dynamic hub for resiliency education and community solutions to help mitigate the impact of climate change, MODS is the ideal space to prepare South Florida for the upcoming storm season and beyond,” said Joseph P. Cox, president and CEO at MODS. “This annual event allows our community to receive the most up-to-date science and information to help keep their families safe and protected during the upcoming storm season. Admission to the Museum and events are FREE as we are committed to accessibility and making sure that our resources are available to everyone in our community, regardless of income.”
Admission is FREE! Future Storm Chasers will experience:
● Exciting presentations and interactive demos by hurricane experts.
○ International Hurricane Protection Association Air Cannon Missile Demonstrations
○ FIU NSF-NHERI Wall of Wind Exhibit
○ National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
○ MODS Weather Science Demonstrations
● Kids Zone:
○ Weather Safety
○ Weather Art & Crafts
○ Story time
● Emergency vehicle “Touch a Truck” and a Meet & Greet with South Florida first responders and canine units.
● Test your building skills at MODS’ wind tunnel construction zone, explore weather related engineering challenges in The Hangar Makerspace and make-and-take your own barometer.
● Help protect your privacy, identity and confidentiality with a FREE secure onsite mobile community paper shredding truck, sponsored by AARP. The truck will be located in the Museum’s bus loop from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. (or when the truck is full.) The community can bring boxes of paper items only. All metal spines, paper and binder clips should be removed. Staples are acceptable.
Admission to MODS during the Eye of the Storm event is FREE thanks to the generous sponsorship of FIU-IHRC and FDEM. Tickets can be reserved by visiting mods.org/2022eyeofthestorm or on site at the Museum box office upon arrival.
Hurricane season officially begins on June 1 and runs through November 30, peaking in late August through November.